You may have spotted pesto on our menu recently. Here’s a little info about it and why we like it:
• Pesto is a bright green Italian sauce that’s typically made of pine nuts, basil, garlic, olive oil, and Parmesan cheese.
• Ingredients are typically blended to create a thick pureé.
• The word “pesto” is actually the past tense form of the Italian verb “pestare” which means to crush, which makes sense.
• There are variations to pesto that vary by Italian region and can include lemon juice, pistachios, ricotta, or fennel.
• Pesto contains some antioxidants and the combo of pine nuts and garlic may help keep arteries healthy. It even contains some omega-3s and antioxidants.