❇ Folate is another name for the naturally occurring form of vitamin B9.
❇ You may have also heard of “folic acid” - this is the synthetic form of vitamin B9 that’s used in supplements and added to some processed foods.
❇ Folate offers the following health benefits:
• Helps creation of new cells in the body
• Supports proper creation of DNA and genetic material
• May lower blood pressure and reduce hardening of the arteries
• Especially helpful during pregnancy for proper development of the baby’s brain and spine
❇ Foods that are rich in folate include:
• Brussels sprouts
• Spinach, lettuce, and other leafy greens
• Bananas and oranges
• Black beans and lentils