Tips To Reduce Your Sodium Intake
Of all the health concerns Americans face, heart disease is the deadliest and hypertension, or high blood pressure, is one of the leading factors in this. Reducing your sodium intake can help reduce the risks of heart trouble. Here are five quick tips for how to do it:
• Spices instead of salt: Go for black pepper, cilantro, garlic powder, dill, or oregano to add flavor without adding salt.
• Reduce portion sizes: Less food overall means less salt.
• Rinse canned items: Open, drain, and rinse canned items to greatly reduce the sodium content.
• Fresh meat instead of packaged: Sliced, packaged lunch meat contains about 60% of your daily sodium intake but fresh meat is typically around 4% DV.
• Check the labels: This may seem obvious, but don’t make assumptions about the sodium content of the foods you eat. Some things like cottage cheese may have more than you think (31% DV in 1 cup).
Leave a Reply.