When a new year is about to begin and you’re considering what you want to do differently for the next 365 days, it can be daunting. We’ve got some tips to help keep success attainable as you strive to meet your goals:
1. Think it through.
• Take a few days to let your new goals roll around in your mind. Imagine what success will look like and determine if you think it’s possible in 365 days. You want a challenge but you have to be realistic too.
2. Have a few goals in mind.
• Having only one resolution is too much pressure on one specific aspect of your life. Having too many can make you feel trapped. Three to four is a good number to make you feel like you’re accomplishing something and let the small victories act as catalysts for the next ones.
3. Make them measurable.
• Being specific is helpful. Don’t strive to “exercise more” as that’s too open-ended. Instead set a measurement for how much more, such as four times a week. This helps define what success looks like.
4. Celebrate successes.
• Notice when you make improvements for what they are - something better than it was before, no matter how small. It can help to keep some notes about success to see it in writing and look at what may have contributed to it.
5. Mix up the time frames.
• Try to get a mix of goal time frames. Too many “daily habit” goals can make each day feel like a chore. Consider adding one goal that’s daily, one weekly, one quarterly, and one that you can do once per year.