Six Quick Food Facts
1. Pineapples grow on bushes and take 2-3 years before they’re ready to harvest.
2. Pizza Hut used to be the largest purchaser of kale in the US and would use it as garnish for their salad bar. That changed around 2012 when kale’s popularity spiked and has continued to grow.
3. Ripe cranberries will bounce like a rubber ball when they’re ready to be eaten. Farmers use this test but you may get some looks if you try it in the store.
4. Bananas are technically berries but strawberries are not. To be classified as a berry, the fruit has to come from one flower with one ovary and contain several seeds. Raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries come from a single flower with more than one ovary, so technically don’t count as berries.
5. The Aztecs used chocolate as currency. Cocoa beans were precious and acceptable forms of payment in the 14th century.
6. Cookie Monster’s “cookies” that he devoured and made a mess with were actually painted rice cakes. The oils from real cookies would have trashed that lovely blue fur pretty quickly.
Leave a Reply.