When it comes to the health of your digestive system, probiotics play a critical role by changing the gut into a healthier environment. They are the good bacteria that can allow better digestion, regulation of metabolism, and even mental health. Here are six foods that can help boost your good gut bacteria:
1. Yogurt - Be sure they contain live and active cultures to get the probiotic benefits.
2. Kefir - Think of kefir as drinkable yogurt and just with yogurt, be sure to look for varieties that state they contain live and active cultures.
3. Some Cheeses - Blue, mozzarella, cheddar, and gouda cheeses typically retain their healthy bacteria after the cheese-making and aging process.
4. Sauerkraut - Be sure to look for the refrigerated varieties, as the shelf-stable ones have been pasteurized, which kills the good bacteria.
5. Kimchi - Very similar to sauerkraut, kimchi usually has added goodness from ginger, garlic, and radishes mixed in.
6. Kombucha - Drink your probiotics with this increasingly popular beverage made from fermented tea. Check the label for sugar content and go for raw if possible.