How Much Fiber Do You Need?
Getting the right amount of fiber in your diet keeps your digestion moving as it should and can also help reduce the risk of obesity, heart disease, and diabetes. Curious about how much fiber you should get in a day? We’ve got your covered:
• Women aged 50 and under should aim for 25g of fiber per day, while those over 50 should get 21g.
• Men that are 50 and under should try to get 38g per day, or 30g per day for those over 50.
• Most vegetables, fruits, and plant-based foods contain fiber.
• If you’re increasing your fiber intake it’s best to do it throughout the day at multiple meals.
• Some of the highest fiber foods include:
- Lentils, Black Beans, Lima Beans: 13g per cup
- Chia Seeds: 10.6g per ounce (2T)
- Green Peas: 8.8g per cup
- Raspberries: 8g per cup
- Whole Wheat Pasta: 6.3g per cup
- Medium-Sized Pear with Skin: 5.5g each
- Medium-Sized Apple with Skin: 4.4g each
- Brown Rice: 3.5g per cup
- Almonds: 3g per ounce (around 23 almonds)
Leave a Reply.