It’s smelly, it’s German, and...it’s good for you? Sauerkraut is basically fermented cabbage and with that fermentation comes added health benefits. If you’re heading to Volksfest at the end of the week, be sure to add some of the sour stuff to your plate. Here are five health benefits of sauerkraut:
1. Immune system boost - A one cup serving of sauerkraut has 35% of your daily recommended intake of vitamin C to boost immunity.
2. Gut health - Probiotics are plentiful in sauerkraut and help to make foods more digestible so you can better absorb their vitamins and minerals, among many other benefits.
3. Fiber - A diet high in fiber can help lower cholesterol and kraut provides 16% of your DV.
4. Blood and bone health - Kraut is a good source of Vitamin K and iron, which help with blood clotting and bone metabolism.
5. Low calories - All of this nutrition comes in at only 27 calories/cup.
*Note that most canned varieties of sauerkraut have been pasteurized, which destroys the probiotics. Look for non-pasteurized varieties.*