Facts About Fats
Consuming fats was once thought of as the culprit for weight gain and it was advised to avoid them altogether. Now however, nutritionists see the value of including healthy fats as part of your balanced diet and the benefits they can provide.
- Fat is one of the three compounds the human body uses for energy. The other two are carbohydrates and protein.
- One gram of fat contains 9 calories. Carbs and protein contain 4 calories per gram, so fat is more than twice as calorically dense.
- Eating fat doesn’t necessarily make you fat. Consuming more calories than you burn, regardless of the source, is what leads to weight gain.
- Fat is important for the human body and helps you get benefits from vitamins such as vitamins A, D, E, and K.
- Fat also helps keep your skin and hair healthy.
- Some fats, such as omega-3 and omega-6, are essential and can only be acquired by consuming them.
- The three main types of fats are saturated, unsaturated, and trans.
Leave a Reply.