New research has proven that Popeye was onto something - leafy greens like spinach and kale can boost the function of your muscles.
• In a recent study, participants that consumed high levels of greens saw an increase in strength of 11% and an increase in walking speed of 4% compared to those who ate few greens.
• Leafy greens are high in nitrates, which help open up your blood vessels to improve blood flow and delivery of oxygen to your muscles.
• During exercise, oxygen plays a critical role in muscle performance and can even act as fuel for your muscles.
• Taking care of your muscles can help make everyday tasks easier and prevent injuries.
• The study found that the most beneficial greens were lettuce, spinach, kale, and beetroot due to their high levels of nitrates. Fennel radishes, cabbage, and arugula are also good sources of nitrates.