Easter is just a couple days away now and if you weren’t able to find any egg dying kits this year or just don’t want to risk going out to get one, you’ve still got options. Here’s how you can make natural egg dye with ingredients you may have in your kitchen:
• Basically you’ll just boil some water and vinegar together then add one of the following to create the dye of each color: turmeric = yellow dye, beets = red, red cabbage = blue, yellow onion skins = orange, blueberries = dark blue.
• Combine 1 quart water with 2 tablespoons white vinegar in a medium-sized pot and bring to a boil.
• Once boiling, add one of the ingredients listed above and lower the heat to simmer for 30 minutes.
• The amounts of colorant to add are as follows: turmeric - 3 tablespoons, beets - 4 cups chopped, red cabbage - 3 cups chopped, yellow onion skins - 4 cups (8-10 onions worth), blueberries - 4 cups
• After 30 minutes of simmering, strain out any solids and let the dye cool.
• Use tongs or a wire whisk to add eggs to the cooled dye.
• Allow them to sit covered in the dye for 30 minutes or you can leave them longer to get deeper tones of color.
• Experiment with different soaking times and try multiple color dips to create new hues. Yellow and then blue to get green, for example.