Whether you eat it with just salt and pepper, mixed in with a salad, or with fruit, cottage cheese is a smart choice to help round out a snack or meal. Let’s check out all the good things a 1 cup serving of 1% lowfat cottage cheese has to offer:
1️⃣ High in protein - 28g, 56% DV
2️⃣ Casein protein - Milk contains two proteins: casein, which is 80% of it, and whey that makes up the other 20%. Casein contains all essential amino acids and is digested slowly, releasing the acids at low levels over a longer period of time than whey.
3️⃣ Low calories - 163 calories and 74% of those calories come from protein.
4️⃣ High in calcium - 14% DV
5️⃣ Vitamins B2 & B12 - 23% DV
6️⃣ Selenium - 29% DV, selenium is a mineral with antioxidant properties and plays a role in metabolism and thyroid function
One important thing to note is this serving also contains 38% of your sodium for the day. If you’ve been cautioned to watch your sodium by your doctor, look for a no-sodium-added cottage cheese as a serving of it will only yield 1% DV instead of 38%.