Sleep is a very important part of life. It’s needed for mental and physical restoration, so when you don’t sleep well, it makes for a long day where everything seems difficult.
Here are five things to avoid that decrease sleep quality:
1. Light: Melatonin can be affected by light, especially blue light. The sun gives off blue light, but so do electronics. Limit your exposure to blue light around bedtime and make sure where you sleep is reasonably dark.
2. Noise: The most disruptive noises during sleep are sudden ones. Consistent and even noise can actually help lull you to sleep. Things like white noise machines and earplugs can help if you’re in a very noisy environment.
3. Heat: Elevated body temperatures have been shown to make it harder to fall asleep and decrease quality of sleep. A cool room causes you to drift off easier and also enter deep sleep faster.
4. Alcohol: While it may seem that alcohol helps you sleep better, science has shown it actually decreases sleep quality. Even small amounts of alcohol inhibit entering REM sleep and decrease its duration when it does happen.
5. Caffeine: This may seem obvious, but caffeine and sleep don’t mix. Even if you are able to fall asleep with caffeine onboard, your sleep will be shallow and low quality since you’re more alert. This even affects regular caffeine users.
Leave a Reply.