Some of our recent menu items have included whole wheat pasta and there are plenty of good reasons to go with whole wheat over the typical refined white pasta when you can. Let’s take a look at why it matters:
• Whole wheat pasta has fewer calories than refined pasta. A one cup serving of whole grain can save you almost 50 calories over the refined stuff.
• You’ll get more fiber from whole wheat pasta. A typical serving has 6g, while refined pasta has 2.5g. Fiber helps you feel full, improves digestion, and has been shown to lower your cholesterol and help regulate your blood sugar.
• As far as nutrients go, whole wheat pasta wins again. It has more protein than refined pasta and also contains more potassium, magnesium, and phosphorus.
• The texture of whole wheat pasta is a little less smooth than refined, but some people actually prefer the difference. Try it out!
• To sum it up: whole wheat pasta has less calories and fat, but more fiber and protein and nutrients than the typical refined pasta. What’s not to love?