What Is Coconut Sugar?
When it comes to making things sweet, there is no shortage of options. One natural choice that’s become popular recently is coconut sugar. Let’s look at what it is and why it’s different than regular sugar:
• Coconut sugar is a natural sugar made from dehydrated coconut palm sap that flows through the plant.
• It’s minimally processed, unlike refined white table sugar.
• The color and shape is similar to unprocessed raw sugar but with more variation of light and dark browns and granule size.
• It contains trace amounts of iron, zinc, calcium, potassium, and even polyphenols and antioxidants. Regular sugar offers none of these.
• It also contains a fiber called inulin that helps slow glucose absorption and give coconut sugar a lower Glycemic Index than regular sugar.
• Coconut sugar should still be used in moderation since it’s not a low-calorie food.
Leave a Reply.