⚡Potassium is an electrolyte that is highly reactive in water, making it able to conduct electricity and invaluable to many processes in your body.
⚡It’s the third-most abundant mineral in your body with 80% of it found in your muscles and the other 20% found in your bones, liver, and red blood cells.
⚡It can help regulate fluids. Your body is about 60% water and uses fluids in your blood, spinal cord, and in and around cells. Potassium makes sure all of these are balanced to keep cells intact and functioning properly.
⚡Your nervous system needs potassium too. Nerve impulses help regulate contractions of your muscles, reflexes, and even your heartbeat. Low levels of potassium in your blood can affect the generation of these impulses.
⚡A potassium-rich diet may help reduce blood pressure by removing excess sodium in your body.
⚡Your bone mass can also benefit from potassium. Studies have shown that osteoporosis risk may be reduced by potassium since it reduces how much calcium you expel through urine.
⚡Sources of potassium include: sweet potatoes, pinto beans, white potatoes, portobello mushrooms, avocado, spinach, kale, bananas, salmon, apricots, and peas.
Leave a Reply.