We mention antioxidants quite often when going over the benefits of different foods, but what exactly are antioxidants and how do they work?
• Antioxidants are molecules that process and remove free radicals in your body.
• Free radicals are waste substances made by cells as your body processes food and reacts to your environment.
• Free radicals need to be removed from your body and can start to cause damage if they’re present in large amounts. They’ve been linked to illnesses such as diabetes, heart disease, and even cancer. Antioxidants work to remove them.
• Your body makes its own antioxidants, but certain foods can help bring in even more antioxidants to help fight free radicals.
• Foods High in Antioxidants: Eggs, berries, oranges, apples, bell peppers, nuts, leafy greens, tomatoes, black beans, green tea, dark chocolate, pomegranates.